NASCIO 2016: Recruit and Retain a World-Class IT Team
States may choose not to compete with the private sector for bright and savvy IT professionals, but instead tout the benefits of government service and unique experience opportunities.
- James Collins, CIO, State of Delaware
- Joshua Karstens, Director PMO and BPM, State of Maine
- Brenda Berlin, Deputy CIO and Chief Financial Officer, State of Colorado
- Michael Watson, CISO, Virginia Information Technologies Agency
- Stu Davis, CIO, State of Ohio
- A variety of partnerships and scholarships that set up a pipeline of qualified IT professionals to a state IT organization can ensure vacancies aren't open for long.
- Put time and thought into determining precisely where the greatest needs lie in terms of skillsets and experiences, then work to get in front of those students or professionals who will best meet those needs and help your agency accomplish its mission.
- Clearly communicate the benefits and rewards from a career in public service.